THE LOG CABIN SERVICE STATION RESTORATION PROJECT
The Shuswap Chapter was given the
opportunity to preserve at part of Salmon Arm's history.
The Log Cabin Service Station was first
constructed in 1927 by A.D. Meek on the south-east corner of Palmer
St. and Alexander Ave. Mr. Meek was a Union Oil Dealer and had a small
trucking Co. The building was made of small logs and had a overhang at
the front that covered the gas pumps The ends of the logs were painted
Union Oil colors - one end orange and the next one blue, and so on.
The building was dismantled in 1935 and
was towed by water to Paradise Point on Shuswap Lake, and re-erected
as a summer cabin. The cabin and property was sold to Mr. And Mrs.
Dick Richards in 1944 and later was left to their daughter Pam (Mrs.
Bob Johnson) A few years ago, the Johnson's contacted one of our club
members with the offer to donate the building to us, with the
provision that it he restored to original and placed at a museum. The
offer was accepted and the building now stands at R.J. Haney Heritage
Park, erected on a corner lot as it was originally. With many generous
donations of money, materials and labor, the Service Station is very
near completion, awaiting the installation of the visible pumps that
are nearly restored. We have also had donated many old service station
articles and equipment to help complete the display.
LOG CABIN SERVICE
LOG CABIN SERVICE
LOG CABIN SERVICE 2005
LESTER AND THOMSON GARAGE
CHAPTER'S NEW PROJECT AT R. J. HANEY HERITAGE PARK
SUPPLIED BY PAT SHIRLEY
Lester and Thomson was a well known firm having been established in the
late teens. The
owners, Alex Lester and Cyril Thomson had a large garage on the corner
Alexander and Front St. where the Home Hardware is presently located.
pump was very close to the street and was wiped out several times by
which failed to negotiate the corner. For many years it was called
corner because of their Drug store situated where the TD bank is now.
In 1918 they were listed as agents for Chevrolets and shortly after
they added Overlands and Grey Dorts to their line. In about 1926 the
dissolved. Lester moved to Kamloops and Thomson carried on under the
Thomson’s Garage. He then became an authorized dealer for General
and trucks.. Two of his mechanics were Wilfred Taylor and later Warick
He also operated a taxi service for many years.
In 1937 the garage was
sold to H.G.Gowing, who leased it to Robertson and
Scales. They operated the gas pumps and lube rack, continuing to handle
products. It was now called Central Service. The back shop was rented
Miller and Earl Reed who specialized in repairing cars and trucks.
retained the G.M. franchise and continued to run his taxi business from
adjoining building until 1941. Before retiring in England he was
the hospital. He was also Mayor of the City of Salmon Arm from 1928 to
Doug Campbell, followed by Jack Hume took over from Robertson and
they were agents for B.C.Coach Lines as well.
early fifties Alexander and Front St. were part of the Trans Canada
business was brisk. The basement of the garage was used for storing
one of which was a McLaughlin hearse owned by Matty Carroll, the
huge, wood burning furnace, supplemented by waste oil fed in an
method was used for heating. This would have been a Fire Inspectors
Sometime in the middle
George and Eddie Blanc purchased the garage, had it demolished and
built a new
structure which was to become the Willcox Hall Hardware store, then
Marshall Wells and currently the Home Hardware.
Lester and Thomson garage building was 40 ft. by 40 ft. Later another 40 ft. by
40 ft. was added at the rear. The Shuswap Chapter will build the first phase of
the replica as it was done before, 40 by 40, with provision at the back of the
first phase for the addition as before. It was decided by the building committee
to do it this way as the cost of doing the full 40 ft. by 80 ft. at this time
would be more than we can afford.